January 16, 2012

PERCEPTIONS

I was thinking about perceptions. Perceptions are something you own, they are yours, completely but they may not be true. Communicating your perceptions to someone about someone can be very dangerous because they are only yours. Your perceptions of me are not mine, they are yours. And what you do not have and can never have is the ultimate knowledge in your perception of me, because I'm the foremost authority in the world on myself. This is a good example of "walking a mile in my shoes."

3 comments:

simbru said...

Oh yeah; Perception vs. Reality discussions are always intriguing. I have always "percieved" perception to be sort of a built in mechanism where the primative part of the brain sees a stereotypical image for a "flight or fight" reaction; and as our frontal lobes developed (some faster than others) we're able to reason and question our perceptions. I have to confess though; when I'm approached by someone dragging low baggy pants, hat on sideways, with tatoos, and piercings all over their body; and then speak as eloquently and reaonably as a Harved Law Professor I find myself blown away.

Anonymous said...

Yes, thank you simbru. Those are the moments I relish in life. A quick paradigm shift.

simbru said...

I totally agree with you. A balanced blend of anticipation interupted by the element of surprise seems to be at the heart of enjoying life's journey. In the Arts World they say that true art is the ability to take reality and surprise our imagination.